Manuscript Editor (OS VIII)
Philippine Studies: Historical and Ethnographic Viewpoints (PSHEV) Journal Office, Loyola Schools
Summary of Work Activities and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Chief Editor, the Manuscript Editor assists the Chief Editor in the substantive copyediting of manuscripts and, on behalf of the Chief Editor, coordinates and corresponds with authors of manuscripts at different stages of the production process. The Manuscript Editor oversees the day-to-day operations activities of the of Philippine Studies: Historical and Ethnographic Viewpoints (PSHEV) Journal Office ensuring a high quality and timely production of its quarterly issues.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
I. Manuscript Review
- Oversees the journal’s editorial procedures and coordinates all phases of journal production to ensure that journal issues meet quality standards and appear on the first day of the month when an issue is due.
- On behalf of the Chief Editor, oversees the communication with authors, referees, and members of the PSHEV editorial team to ensure the highest quality outcome, while maintaining confidentiality, of the blind-review process in the selection of manuscripts for publication in the journal.
§ Reads through all manuscripts (i.e., articles, research notes, commentaries, documentary sources, book reviews, introductions, and other types of journal content) already approved for publication in each of the journal’s quarterly issues.
- Undertakes editing mostly for style and grammar lapses, making sure that the format and style of the manuscript are consistent with and conform to the journal’s Style Guide.
§ Encodes the corrections and revisions on the soft copy (Word) of manuscripts;
§ Suggests alternative words or phrases and asks the authors if they accept the recommended editorial interventions.
- On behalf of the Chief editor, corresponds with the respective authors of manuscripts on queries regarding the content of the manuscript and information given on the references cited in their manuscripts:
§ Verifies and occasionally does research on the bibliographical information given for each of the sources cited in the body and reference lists of manuscripts.
II. Journal Layout
- Sends the layout/page proofs (in PDF) to each of the authors for their final review and minor corrections; and monitors their approval on the page proofs and coordinates corrections for implementation by the layout artist;
Oversees the layout of articles and other journal features.
- Supervises as well as completes the process of proofreading the covers and all inside pages for final approval by the Chief Editor and final printing.
III. Journal Administration Support
- Corresponds with the authors for them to comply with postproduction procedures (e.g., compliance with the Transfer of Copyright form, sending of final PDF and print copies of the published content, and requests for video abstracts).
- Makes suggestions to improve and update the journal’s Style Guide;
- Assists in coordinating with the Journals Coordinator and other LS and Ateneo de Manila University units on financial, logistical, and other matters concerning the journal.
- Manages the journal’s physical office; the ingress and egress of staff members; its supplies, equipment, and inventories; and the physical cleanliness and security of the office.
- Corresponds with partner journals, other publishers, international journal aggregators and agents, government agencies, courier companies, and other entities to promote the interests of the journal and negotiate terms beneficial to the journal.
- Provides logistical support in preparing and holding of conferences and other special events organized and hosted by the journal.
- Coordinates with specialists in information technology on matters concerning the management and maintenance of the journal’s website and the enhancement of the journal’s visibility on the Internet and on social media.
- Manages the performance of direct reports by setting standards/targets, monitoring and evaluating performance, and providing development opportunities
V. Performs other tasks that may be duly assigned by the Chief Editor or authorized representatives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style for editing scholarly manuscripts.
- Ability to speedily familiarize himself/herself with the journal’s in-house style guide.
- Good command of the English language to be able to identify and correct grammatical mistakes, awkward construction of sentences, and poorly structured prose.
- Proficient and “diplomatic” in written communication, especially those done mostly through online media; able to get across the journal’s policies and standards but at the same time fostering a positive relation between the editorial team and prospective or past contributors/authors, subscribers, and other members of the academic community inside or outside the Ateneo de Manila, locally and abroad.
- Some knowledge of Adobe Indesign, Acrobat, and Photoshop preferable but not necessary.
- Keen attention to detail; Patience and conscientiousness in reading through manuscripts.
- Ability to work within deadlines; focused.
- Well-organized and able to manage the journal office effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to work with a team; With good interpersonal skills.
- Advanced knowledge and skills in using MS Word and Excel.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Must possess at least a thesis-track MA degree, preferably in the humanities or social sciences.
- At least five years of experience in the copyediting of research, academic, or scholarly manuscripts.
- Must have office management or at least 3 years’ supervisory experience
Interested applicants must submit the following:
I. Letter of intent addressed to Jenny C. See (Talent and Organization Development Division Head), duly endorsed by your supervisor, indicating…
· why you want to apply for the position
· why you think you are qualified for the position
· what you can contribute to the office if you were hired in this position
II. Letter of Recommendation from the following (see attached template).
· Immediate Supervisor
· Professional References
The above stated documents, along with your updated resume must be submitted on or 26 April 2021 to:
Nikki T. Valenciano (firstname.lastname@example.org)
HR Officer III
Workforce Strategy and Branding Section[Interested applicants may message us on Facebook Messenger to receive the templates.]